UK plant conservation

From: Steve Alton (S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 01:54:09 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 09:54:09 +0100
From: "Steve Alton" <S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: UK plant conservation

Dear Michael et al,

> Info on plant conservation in the UK does not fall into my hands
> often, but I have just now come across the April 2000 issue of Kew
> Scientist,

<snip>

Rather alarming to find my words quoted at me first thing in the
morning, but yes, we have collected and banked more than 90% of
the UK's native flora, and yes, Utricularia vulgaris was collected by
the lady in the wetsuit. U. minor was also collected (there's a photo
of in habitat on my website -
hometown.aol.com/stevedalton/myhomepage/utric.html)
though sadly U. stygia, U. intermedia & U. ochroleuca never seem
to produce seed in the UK. All the other CP species - Pings and
Droseras - native here have also been collected and banked. So
far, seed of all species appears to be 'orthodox', in other words,
when dried and stored at -20C it should remain viable for decades
(at least, hopefully centuries).

As the project expands into areas such as South Africa and
Australia, we will hopefully expand out knowledge of the storage
behaviour of CP seed.

Regards,

Steve Alton
UK Co-ordinator - Millennium Seed Bank