videotape from Bonn

From: koudela@atx.cz
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 08:55:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 17:55:58 +0200
From: koudela@atx.cz
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: videotape from Bonn

Dear list members,

Those of you who visited The Second Conference of the ICPS in
Bonn may noticed a guy playing with a videocamera in the middle
of the lecture hall. That was me trying to record as many lectures
as I could. Later on a few people asked me if the recording would
be available...

Well, after nearly two years full of labour when CPs were not the
main thing I had on my mind I can FINALLY announce the tapes
are available. In order to explain a little bit what prevented me from
working on the tape I will mention just a few major changes of my
life during these two years - birth of my son Michael, completition
and successful defence of my PhD thesis and change of jobs.

I can say I had many troubles with the tapes themselves, although
it does not seem so when you watch the final product.

At first I must say I would have probably never promised the tape
would be available for all if I had known better what would be in front
of me. Boys was it really complicated! Recording itself was not the
worse though I must confess the original idea was that somebody
else (with much more experience) would record the conference, not
me just discovering hidden (dis)advantages of a camera borrowed
from a friend. But somehow it happened that it was me who
recorded the most of the footage. No, I won't go into details
describing many difficulties I encountered, I will only say it
prepared me many hot days and nights including the fact just a few
weeks ago I got final tapes where the sound was missing and
which, of course, had to be reshaped!

I would like to apologize to all it took me so long to make the tapes
available and also for lower quality of the tapes - for example a
tripod was not always stable. Remember this is an amateur
recording, not a professional one, which I only made for real CP
fans!

And what can you see on the tape? Recorded were the following
lectures:

1) The _Pinguicula_ of the Caribbean by Paul Temple

2) Features of the Genus _Pinguicula_ in Mexico by Hans Luhrs

3) _Sarracenia_ Species and Their Habitats in the Southeastern United
States by Terry Mellichamp

4) _Pinguicula_: the Cool Climate Species of the Northern
Hemisphere - Distribution, Morphology, Habitat, Cultivation by
Juerg Steiger

5) Conservation Program at the Atlanta Botanical Garden by Madeleine
Groves

6) Recent View on the Biology and Protection of _Aldrovanda vesiculosa_
by Lubomir Adamec and Christian Breckpot

7) Ecology and Distribution of _Utricularia_ Species in India M.K.
Janarthanam

8) The Diversity of Plant Communities on Tropical Inselbergs by Stefan
Porembski

9) Morphological and Phylogenetical Studies in the Genus _Nepenthes_
Rudolf Schmid-Hollinger

10) Studies in _Drosera_ by Alastair Culham

11) _Drosera_ in South Africa by Guenter Eitz

12) _Drosera_ in Brazil by Fernando Lopez

+ some shots of plants shown at the 4th International Carnivorous
Plants Exhibition

The tape is available in two formats - PAL (single tape, 200
minutes) and NTSC (2 tapes - Part I and Part II, 200 minutes in
total) to give everybody an opportunity to watch&hear lectures held
in Bonn.

The prices per copy:
        PAL - DM 40 or USD 20
        NTSC, Part I + II - DM 75 or USD 36

P&P per 1 tape: DM 5 / DM 10 or USD 3 / USD 5
                                                (surface/air mail worldwide)
                2 tapes: DM 8 / DM 18 or USD 5 / USD 9
                                                 (surface/air mail worldwide)
                        [Note an NTSC copy consists of two tapes!]

Prices for more copies available on request.

Contact:
Ivo Koudela, Palachova 33/3, Zdar nad Sazavou, 591 01,
                         Czech Republic
        e-mail: koudela@atx.cz

German customers can contact Stefan P. Wolf at
wolf@medinfo.uni-kiel.de
(http://www.angelfire.com/de/cpbooks/)

Mgr. Ivo Koudela, Ph.D.
work: home: