Diseases on CPs

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 22:16:22 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:16:22 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Diseases on CPs

Hi. As an ex-Plant Pathologist (have a MS on this subject), I feel
frustrated whenever I ssee a question on plant diseases with a vague
description. This does not mean to discredit the posting below, but I am
wondering if there is any good source (e.g, books, web page, etc) on
diseases and pests of CPs. Some time ago, there was a posting on
mites/fungus, but it never seemed to be clarified. If there is none, I think
we need to gother some credible information on this, but what do you all
think? I am not making an accusation, but we are just guessing, and our
assumption might not be correct after all. In a way, it is a dissimination
of 'potentially' wrong information.

>From the description, the disease on the Nepenthes might be anthracnose, but
I cannot be certain. If it is really a fungal disease, you can find fruiting
bodies in the spots. I seriously suggest to consult a Plant Disease
Diagnostician. You can also get info from your local Extension Service. And
if you find out, please share the result with us.

Hideka

<Hello all,

Let me apologize for submitting a question that has been asked many, many
times in the past. This is something I should definately know but can't
remember for the life of me.

On several of my Nepenthes I have brown spots. They are embedded in the
leaf and are not scale, aphids, etc. I can run my finger over them on the
leaf and they are flush with the surface. The spots are about 1/4" (1/2 cm)
in diameter and the number of spots seem to increase with the age of the
leaf.

I'm pretty sure this is a disease and not a normally occurring color
variation. I've even seen it diagnosed on one plant in the SouthEastern
Flower show but can't remember the name of the organism. It's on a very
nice N. merilliana and a few others. I normally toss these plants out but
this time I'd like to save the plant if I can.

Please help!

Davin>