Re: UK plant conservation (Steve Alton to answer?)

From: Steve Alton (S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 07:46:55 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 15:46:55 +0100
From: "Steve Alton" <S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: UK plant conservation (Steve Alton to answer?)

Dear Paul & All,

I shall try to oblige...

The vast majority of accessions in the Millennium Seed Bank are
listed in our Seed List, which is distributed to a wide range of
botanic gardens and academic institutions. All the seeds in the list
can be requested, free of charge, by anyone with a genuine
research or conservation need.

A minority of species are collected under restrictive agreements,
either with the landowner, collaborating organisation or government
of the county of origin, which prevent the free distribution of the
material. These species are not listed in the Seed List. Particularly
small collections and collections subject to national or international
legislation are also not freely distributed.

Which is disappointing if you are a CP enthusiast hoping for a
bucketload of Triphyophyllum seed, but then again, we have very
few CP species in the Bank.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Steve

> This is an open question but the reason for targetting it at Steve is
> that he's probably the only person who can answer it.
>
> I've asked others at Kew but no-one knew. So.. great idea to preserve
> seeds safely. But once seeds are in the Millenium seed bank, under what
> conditions (i.e what criteria need to be met) to get the seed back out
> and who can make such a request?

Steve Alton
UK Co-ordinator - Millennium Seed Bank
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew