Re: Rain water

From: Patty Petzel (petzelp@gw.lbcc.cc.or.us)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 23:29:56 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 23:29:56 -0700
From: "Patty Petzel" <petzelp@gw.lbcc.cc.or.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Rain water

   I use six or seven 30 gallon plastic garbage containers lined up
   under my greenhouse eve to collect rain water. I turn the lids
   upside down and cut a slit in them for the water to flow through.
   When full I pump it to other garbage containers and secure their lids
   and place a tarp over them. I only start filling them when the rains
   really sets in for Fall and Winter. I'll end up with around 600
   gallons of rain water. A submersible pump is very handy for moving
   the water around.

>How long can rain water be safely stored?>
I've kept rain water in plastic garbage containers for over a year and it still looked and smelled good. The most important thing is to use colored containers so sunlight doesn't encourage algal growth. I live in Oregon and we don't usually get much hot weather which may make a difference in the length of time water can be stored.