Nepenthes and ultrabasic substrates

From: cjteichr@sfu.ca
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 15:41:26 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 15:41:26 PDT
From: cjteichr@sfu.ca
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes and ultrabasic substrates

Hi everyone,

   I've been doing some reading up on the flora of New Caledonia (where
Nepenthes vieillardii grows). The soils here are primarily ultrabasic
rocks rich in elements such as Fe, Ni, Zn, Mg, and Co, but poor in
nutrients such as N, P, and K. This explains to me why this Nepenthes
does well here, but I'm wondering how many other species of Neps
grow in similar soil? Is there anyone out there who uses laterites
successfully with their Neps, or have they found it unnecessary in
cultivation? Thanks in advance!

Happy growing,

Chris