Re: Ammonia odor

From: Paul McCullough (paulmcc@home.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 21:38:50 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 00:38:50 -0400
From: Paul McCullough <paulmcc@home.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ammonia odor

Phil- thanks for the info. You're right... no grass clippings. Someone
else wrote to me that the flowers can smell like "bobcats". :)

Shame such a pretty little flower smells so bad. I don't know if the
plant's a sarr purpurea hybrid or not- the traps certainly look like
sarr purps rather then the unusually shaped ones you get in hybrids- but
I suppose some cat-pizz smell gene could be the only thing remaining
after many crosses back to sarr purp? I'll upload a photo of the flower
to my site and let everyone know when it's there. I was about to take
some photos with my digicam the other night when the batteries died! I
couldn't find the exact location in our kitchen that batteries get
squirrelled away so I wasn't able to take a photo.

One odd thing about the flower- it bloomed facing downwards (in the
typical sarr way) like an open umbrella, but now it's turning back up to
the lights. Is this typical? In nature, they always seem to point to
the ground.

One other thought... could the odor act as an insect attractor for
fertilization since traps aren't usually ready (in nature) to attract
bugs during flowering?

Cheers,
Paul

--

My New Webpage URLs: -------------------- 3D Animation World: http://members.home.net/paulmcc Carnivorous Plant Page: http://members.home.net/paulmcc/carniv.htm Movie Reviews: http://members.home.net/paulmcc/movies.htm