re-Introduction

From: garkoinsf@netscape.net
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 22:43:59 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 01:43:59 EDT
From: garkoinsf@netscape.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:  re-Introduction

Hi Everyone--

My name is Gary Kong. I'm a Master's candidate in Poetry writing at San
Francisco State University. I've been off the listserve for about half
a year because of computer problems (I'm tempted to say it was a virus,
but really, it was user error that fatally screwed up my Windows
registry). In the meantime, my tc'd N. sanguinea has begun producing
nine inch "bleeding" pitchers (the nectar really looks like BLOOD!);
I've acquired an unknown S. purpurea hybrid, and all my other plants (a
recently divided orchard of VFTs, D. dichotoma "Giant type," D.
multifida, D. aliciacea, D. rotundifolia, D. filliformis "typical," D.
intermedia, Darlingtonia californica--getting very large!--S. purpurea
venosa, S. leucophylla, S. flava "Coppertop" <although my form has
_unusually_ large and floppy lids and I might need some help identifying
parentage--originally obtained from one of Rick Moss' annual bog
strippngs>, and an especially vigorous cross between S. leucophylla and
S. flava "Maxim!
!
!
a," N. sanguinea, N. maxima "Highland Sulawesi," N. alata
"purple-spotted Luzon" <all Nepenthes are being grown successfully as
windowsill houseplants>, and a sprawling Cephalotus, also treated as a
houseplant--my favorite CP! I LOVE my Ceph. Thanks, Charles Brewer!)
are doing exceptionally well in their San Francisco windowsill,
windowbox and balcony habitats.

I'm using a cheapo (~$100) countertop R/O water filter I obtained from
Nature's Way in Florida (quick delivery and wide selection of units)
with absolutely no problem in the year and a half I've done so. I
obtain my sand from any number of nurseries throughout San
Francisco--Humus and Kellogg are two brands which are of horticultural
quality and have given me no problem. Kellogg packages sharp quartz
sand and is great for improving drainage. I pot my Nepenthes in orchid
baskets which are available for cheap at Plant-It-Earth and Hortica--not
so cheap, but in a wider variety of shapes and sizes--in San Francisco's
Castro district. Both nurseries stock CPs, BTW. And between them, one
can find sphagnum moss (long fiber and milled), fine orchid bark, clay
pellets, silica sand, orchid baskets--in other words, San Francisco is
CP friendly.

But what CPs _really_ love is our climate. Sorry, all you people in
Colorado, Arizona and Canada! The scenery is variable, but you'd
probably wish you were here.

I'm learning how to build web pages, and I'll post lots of pics of my
plants once I get through "Teach Yourself FrontPage98 in a Week." I've
been at it for two months, and am only on the second day. That should
clue you in. But once I have it up, I'm going to ask lots of questions
about what exactly it is I have in my collection.

I hope this didn't bore you,
Gary Kong

---------- Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/