Re: Utric's and daphnia speculation

From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda (vmiranda@rc.unesp.br)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 04:11:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:11:34 -0300
From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda <vmiranda@rc.unesp.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Utric's and daphnia speculation

Howard wrote:

> Perhaps this is an example of evolutionary convergence based on
function.
> Thus both utrics and daphnia feeding on smaller prey may have
developed
> filter feeding structures roughly comparable because it works.
> ---------------------------
> = Howard Wu =
> = Bishop, CA =
> = mrwu@qnet.com =
> ---------------------------

Dear Howard,

I agree about both utrics and daphnia feed small preys. Therefore, it
does not mean that utrics *filter* water to get food. Small crustaceans
filter water to get smaller particles, usualy from organic matter in
decomposition. In the other hand, utrics entrap and catch *alive* small
animals, that is the difference. So, I do not agree in place utrics
species among *filter organisms*.

Regards,

Vitor.

------