S. oreophila update and clarification

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 08:39:03 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:39:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: S. oreophila update and clarification

Hey folks,

I've drawn up more information regarding the S. oreophila project and have
placed a link to it on the front page of the FAQ. Just go to the FAQ and
look for the prominent "News Flash" above all the navigation links.
Donation forms are also available from this site. But please contact me
before you send any money since I need to track our progress.

Hi Nigel,

Let me clarify your concerns about seeds immediately (your mail attached
below). The point of this conservation meeting is to gather land managers
together. The commodity of this meeting is information. We want land
managers to discuss best-practices and science-based conservation methods
that have been successful with S. oreophila sites. What works? What
doesn't? The sort of conservation being done is ground-based, in situ
work, which is the most cost-effective and "real" conservation I can think
of.

Now, my comment about the seeds is just one idea that has been floated
around. It may or may not come to fruition. Certainly, there is not a
connection between making donations and getting seeds. This would
instantly turn things in a direction we are not planning. What is more
likely to happen is that seed would be distributed, free of charge, to
various seed banks around the world, much like in the model of how I
distributed Darlingtonia 'Othello' seed. But this is still all speculation
and may not occur. It certainly is less likely to occur if the meeting
fails to gel.

I am planning on contacting the UK conservation fund. I have been
approaching a number of private sources. Furthermore, links have been
placed in the FAQ and a mailing will go out in the June issue of CPN.

>Obviously Barry is working from vary laudable motives, but this is too
>close to straight selling of Sarracenia oreophila seed to make me feel
>comfortable, and investors may not even get to find out where their
>seed came from. I think this needs more thought.

>Have all the avenues for conservation funding been exhausted? The UK
>CPS has a conservation fund and might be persuaded to contribute if
>approached.

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice