Re: laterite & N. merrilliana & Aliflor

From: Michael Hunt (stovehouse@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 16:56:19 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 19:56:19 -0400
From: Michael Hunt <stovehouse@earthlink.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: laterite & N. merrilliana & Aliflor

Hello,

I am using a product called Aliflor with N. merrilliana. I am happy
with the growth rate. I have checked the bag that the Aliflor comes in
as it has the chemical symbols on the make up of the product. I
couldn't find what some of the compounds are but it is over 50% silicon
dioxide. Another major portion is ferric oxide, which by color as I
guessed is a iron based compound. The products pH is neutral. My mix
is over 60% Aliflor, 30% Phalaeaenopsis mix, the rest is Osmunda fibers
and long fiber sphagnum. Growth has been fair to very good. I had many
of these plants inside a grow room over the winter. In the controlled
environment they did excellent under lights all growing vigorously and
pitchering very well. Upon bringing them back outdoors as expected the
leaves scorched due to sunburn and the pitchers dried, however as the
climate has moistened up they are again showing lots of vigor and
developing pitchers while leaves retain a deep maroon color. I have
found this species similar to N. belli in requiring constant high
humidity. Fluctuations causing loss of pitchers. More so than some of
the other high humidity species such as N. rafflesiana or N. ampullaria
(lowland species). The Aliflor is a product that looks like clay
marbles, and is often used with orchids. I know there are several
orchid products that resemble this ( but have different names. This mix
is airy yet retains some moisture. I keep N. merrilliana on the dry
side. I also recently potted a small N. rajah in this same mix with a
topping of live small tufted sphagnum. So far the results are
excellent. The plant is producing new leaves with small red pitchers at
a rate of about 1.5 new leaf growth a month. I will add that Aliflor is
not expensive. I get 2 cubic foot bags for $10.00. I will continue to
try different substrates, but I am happy with the plants in this medium
of now well over a year. Still not very long to say this will be
success, but I have not lost any plants yet. Take care, ~ Mike St.
Petersburg Fl