Outdoor bog update

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 08:40:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:40:39 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Outdoor bog update

Hi everyone,

   More news on my outdoor bog that I had in the Okanagan where temps
in winter got down to around -20C. As you may remember, I mulched
it over with pine needles and covered that with plastic sheeting to
keep out excess moisture (which turned out to be a bad decision,
as it effectively kept in moisture causing fungal growth!). So,
plants that survived include:

   All Sarrs (not a surprise, but it was nice to see that some of the
seedlings, such as psitticina, also survived).

   All Drosera (anglica, rotundifolia, filiformis, capensis, and
binata)

   Venus flytraps (apparently they're producing weak, but steady
growth).

   The only thing that didn't survive was some of the south-east
US pings. This is likely because of the fungus, and the fact that
they were relatively small.

   So, I'm quite happy with the results, even though I'm not there
anymore to enjoy them :)!

Happy growing,

Chris