Re: U. humboldtii cultivation/populations?

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 04:58:20 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 12:58:20 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. humboldtii cultivation/populations?

Hi,

>I've noticed that this species can be found in several places on the
>South American tepuis. Are there any variations between the different
>populations?
>
>What is an good medium for this species, maybe live sphagnum? Is it
>possible to keep it too wet?
>
>Finally, is this species difficult to flower? Does it need any special
>treatment for this, cooler temps (like many orchids) or large boosts
>of nutrition to build up an energy reserve, since producing those
>beautiful flowers ought to be exhausting?

I have never actually been able to keep this species for more than a few
months so the following information is very much second hand from how
other growers keep the plant.

I think live sphagnum is a good medium to start with for this
Utricularia. I have seen the plant growing in a peat soil but whenever
the plant produces stolons the new plants grow in the water tray almost
as an aquatic.

I don't think it is a difficult plant to flower once you have the
growing conditions right. This is the hard part! You need to grow the
plant as a semi-tropical though. I suggest a minimum temperature of 15C.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk