(NO) CPs in Chile...

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 19:47:14 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 23:47:14 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: (NO) CPs in Chile...

Dear friends,

            I spent the last week in Santiago, Chile. I went there for work,
but then rented a car for the weekend and drove up the Andes. What can I
say, it was beautiful! I looked all around for CPs, but found nothing. I
can't say I found many good habitats though. It was either too dry (the
valleys look like those American deserts we see in movies, with huge cacti
and sparse bushes in gravelly ground) or covered in snow. I was a bit late
in the season I guess and the snow line was at around 2500m or so. I was
there around 5 years ago in January (summer), but I was travelling by bus
and couldn't get off at the good habitats I spotted while my face was glued
to the window. Oh well, at least the views were spectacular.

            I was hoping to see some Pings and maybe even D.uniflora. Truth
is though, I'm not even sure what Ping grows in Chile (P.antarctica?) nor if
D.uniflora occurs that far N along the Andes. Next time I'll do my homework
better -- if I have time to plan for it, which I didn't this time. Any
location data Jan??

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil