Re: Insects, pesticides, and etc

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 09:42:50 PDT

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 17:42:50 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Insects, pesticides, and etc

Hi,

>It kinda sounds like mites to me. There are sources you can identify what
>they are even on web. Probably they are not very unusual, or some thing
>exotic.
>
><Can anyone suggest a systemic insecticide that I could use safely?>
>
>Somebody might have expected this, but before spraying, you need to know
>what they (pests) are. Some insecticides are acaricides, not all the time,
>and it is critical to identify what you got. Some mites have resistance to
>pesticides, too. Knowing about the pesticide you spray is important, too.
>Besides, what somebody tells you might not be up-to-date information or even
>correct. The info. on pesticides can change quickly, and it is best to ask
>an Extension aganet in your area. That's what they are for! And if it is
>mites, there's no 'systemic' acaricides (that's what I was told).

As long as you do not have too many plants effected a neat solution to
mites which I have used before is to suffocate them with a light oil. If
you have only one or two plants effected then using a cocktail stick
cover the leaf area with the oil. The oil coats the mite's body
preventing it from breathing. After a few hours the mites are dead.

If the infestation is more large scale use the spray on oils you get in
the supermarket - try to get the unflavoured ones though!

Obviously if the mites have moved onto the sticky surfaces this is not
so practical. Also you have to be careful not to miss any areas - I like
to make sure the oil runs well into the crown of the plant. I have never
used this method on Drosera but I have used it on Dionaea with great
success. The plants do not seem to mind the oil though if you are picky
you could wipe it off later.

I cannot claim to have invented this remedy. I read about it as a safe
cure for mites on reptiles.

Regards.
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk