Drosera evolution and CPs in Chile

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 18:59:44 PDT

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 22:59:44 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera evolution and CPs in Chile

Hey Ivan,

>Bravo Fernando!
>Leaves in place of petals. That's another example of what I was trying to
>get across. Petals evolved from leaves, they are analogous structures.
>The same group of genes will be expressed for construction of both.
>Sometimes there will be mix-ups. Perhaps the same is true with tentacles,
>styles and sticky trichomes. Does this seem reasonable?

            Very, IMHO.

>It looks to me as if the styles of most drosera are built for movement.
They
>bend to make contact with stamens, and not as a consequence of withering.
>I have witnessed flowers close immediately upon pollination, but am not
>certain this was not just a coincidence. Question: what do stigmas exude

            Hey, and isn't pollen protein-rich?? Humm, very interesting.
Movement and biochemical responses may have evolved through parallel
evolutionary paths, but it does seem like a big coincidence that the styles
in that D.villosa I photographed were replaced by tentacles, just like the
petals were replaced by sticky leaves with their own tentacles, huh?

>Sorry to hear I won't be seeing you at the conference next month. I will
be there. I was planning to take you to see some Darlingtonia sites. Oh
well, another time, another place.

            I'm even sorrier! :(:( I knew you were going through Ed and
Rob, but I wasn't sure I'd have the time to see Darlingtonia due to work.
Another time......

>Anyway, I have P. antarctica and D.
uniflora from Cordillera Pelada ( Valdivia, Chile ) at 750 m altitude.
There the recorded mean annual temp is 10C, precipitation ~3500 mm.

            I just looked on the map and it's not THAT far south. But what
most surprises me is how low it is. Only 750m at such latitudes? Actually,
I'm not even sure if they grow high on the Andes at all. I guess I thought
they only lived in freezing Tierra del Fuego in near perpetual darkness and
with only two days of summer a year! How did you get these again?? How long
have you been able to keep them alive in cultivation? Good luck growing
it!!!

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil