Soil/Water Tips?

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 18:36:30 PDT

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 21:36:30 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Soil/Water Tips?

Hello, fellow CP'ers, I'm once again looking for some tips.

I haven't been able to find any species-specific info on water levels
& soil mixes for some of my plants. What do you guys use for the
following:

Drosera filiformis tracyii. I've got these planted in 1 part sand to
3 parts peat in 6" pots with 3" deep saucers. I'm thinking maybe the
water level's too high & I should use 1" deep trays.

Sarracenia psittacina, S. purpurea venosa, & S. psitt. x minor. These
are planted in 6" pots with 1" deep trays in a mix of long-fiber
sphagnum & stuff that shouldn't be in CP mix. I just found some 10"
wide by 6" deep pots & 3" deep trays for my horizontal Sarracenias,
so I'll be repotting them this weekend. My plan is to put them in
mostly 50/50 peat & Perlite with a half inch of peat/sand on top to
keep the $%^*&~ Perlite from coating everything in sight when it
rains. Does this sound plausible?

In case anyone's keeping score, I repotted my upright Sarracenias
last week in 20-quart pots & they seem to be thriving. I think my
VFTs are recovering from their battle with the Perlite, but it's too
early to be sure.

TIA,
-Kit