U.firmula, D.uniflora, ICPS in SF

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 13:02:26 PDT

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:02:26 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U.firmula, D.uniflora, ICPS in SF

To all,

>Last year I picked up about 40 different Utricularia seeds from Allen
Lowie. One of the very few that germinated for me was U. firmula. He
listed this as "U. fimula- near Prestoria, RSA" So maybe his typing
hasn't improved with this one species, but was very nice was this seed was
good. It even bloomed for me after a few months. It growth behavior is
similar to U. sandersoni and U. livida which I understand shares the same
"sub-genus." I grew it on damp peat/sand in a closed glass container.

            What color were the flowers?? I saw this species near Pretoria 2
years ago (maybe the seeds you got from Allen were from the batch I sent
him...) and the small flowers were an extraordinarily strange shade of
purple-grey, with yellow blotch at the base of the lower lip. A really
interesting plant! If anyone else is growing and flowering this plant, I'd
really like to hear feedback as to what color the flowers are in
cultivation.

            As for D.uniflora, you can check out two pictures of this
species at my website. I received some live plants a few years ago. I also
have a picture of them in the wild -- yet to be digitalized... Anyways,
here's the address for the pics below. You can even see the filamentous
stipules on the sides of the petioles (of interest only to
taxonomy-freaks!).

http://www.mcef.ep.usp.br/carnivoras/Photos/Genera/Drosera/uniflora_Mirador_
1997__1.jpg

http://www.mcef.ep.usp.br/carnivoras/Photos/Genera/Drosera/uniflora_Mirador_
1997__2.jpg

            I'm sitting here at home right now thinking about the SF ICPS
meeting which must be at full blast right now. I'm dying of envy of everyone
who made it there!!!! Any news on the conference from you guys in the SF
area would be welcome!

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil