seedling sundew id's?

From: cmccarth@wvu.edu
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 14:37:17 PDT

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:37:17 -0400
From: cmccarth@wvu.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: seedling sundew id's?

Hello all,
       I hope that some one or several of you can help me. I am caring for
a small collection of cp's in a university seting. The problem is that
several pots have tiny seedling sundews coming up. Ok, I am not worried
that they are there, but how to keep the propper identifications in the
collection. If a seedling seems to have a differnt leaf shape than a
mature blooming size plant is it likely to be a different species? To ask
that question a different way, do seedling sundews tend to have the mature
plant leaf shape or can they change as is common with other plants? If a
seedling in one pot seems to be a close match to a mature plant in another
how likely am I to be wronge in ID'ing from seedling leaves only? Is it
likely that I will have to wait for flowering of the seedings to be sure?
       The collection in question only came to us this past January so I
don't know what species could have been closely neighboring pots before this.

       Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Carol McCarthy
Plant and Siol Sciences Greenhouse
West Virginia University
cmccarth@wvu.edu