Re: planting media

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 19:21:16 PDT

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:21:16 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: planting media

Considering the recent discussions on media for growing the various CPs ....
there has been much discourse on the attributes and drawbacks of various
types of sand. After having some construction work done around the
homestead, a pile of 'granite dust' was left behind. This is basically the
stuff that's left over from a granite quarry after they've sifted out larger
pebbles, rocks and boulders. Any thoughts on how this might fare with CPs?
I'm thinking it would probably work.
Most of the SE US coastal plain was formed from the erosion of the
Appalachian Mountains which are composed largely of granites, schists,
sandstones and some marble and limestone. Now, considering that populations
of Sarracenia, VFT, Drosera and associated plants grow in the coastal plain -
made of weathered granites and such - I would think this could work?
I don't have enough plants to experiment with at this point (about a dozen
total). If someone would like me to send a bit to try, just let me know.
Also, I could throw in some Georgia red clay to see if it could work as
'laterite'.

Dan