re: Native CP in Teaching / D. anglica

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 12:36:26 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:36:26 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Native CP in Teaching / D. anglica

>My name is Joseph Kinyon and I live in the Marin Headlands, California.
>have worked as a naturalist for a little over 15 years, and I have used
cp's
>as a tool, pathway, and hook to introduce people to the environment and
the
>many issues it faces. I've been growing plants for about six years, and
I'm
>blessed by Bay Area microclimates,local expertise, and the fine plants
I've
>purchased from many of you. My main interest is in maintaining a
teaching
>collection that represents the diversity of genus in carnivorous plants,
and
>all the species of California. I currently work at the California
Academy
>of Sciences in San Francisco, and secretly (not so secretly now) plot to

>have a world class natural history exhibit on carnivorous plants

Hi Joseph and all,

I was pleased to read of your work, you have found a perfect use for our
California native CPs as a teaching aid. Plants I have collected myself
are especially precious to me, though these can be difficult to
cultivate. One species I have been breeding and have made more easy to
grow. Drosera anglica is very rare in California and I went through a
tough hiking ordeal to collect it, this makes this plant all the more
precious to me. I call it a "living souvenir", and consider it an actual
living piece of the California mountains and a perfect souvenir of my
travels. The temperate form of D. anglica requires a dormancy period and
the seed needs cold stratification. I used pollen from the tropical
Hawaiian form on flowers of my Californian. The seed of this cross
sprouts easily and the plants can have the larger size of the Californian
and grow better like the tropical without dormancy. I sow seed of my
improved D. anglica on peat and transplant later to live Sphagnum moss.
With good feeding I have had leaves up to 11 cm. tall! I have much seed
if you would like this plant for your exhibit.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagh.