Re: ICPS 2000 to Butterfly Valley?!

From: Mybog@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 12:38:22 PDT

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:38:22 EDT
From: Mybog@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: ICPS 2000 to Butterfly Valley?!

Hello,

Yes, there was another "unofficial" field trip last week in the wake of the
SF gathering.

The Butterfly Valley (Plumas County, Feather River) expedition featured
global travelers A. Wistuba, T. Carow, Eric Schlosser, Herb & Tina Kesler,
Ivan S. & Ed R. were expected to drop in at any moment but apparently became
distracted by other cps to our south. We saw the dros, darls, U. minor in
bloom, (1st time in several years!) as well as all the orchids there (12
spp., exc. C. montanum--too late). Camas and several other lillies lent
their colorful blooms to the background scenery, and Sagittaria latifolia was
nearly 1 m high below the dam with Aconitum columbianum (monkshood) rising
steadily but not yet in bloom.

A few conference highlights:

1. Barry's rendition of Peters proposed talk for the banquet wa so "over the
top", it will be talked about for years to come (and I sure hope it is on
video!). But he gave an even more important talk earlier that day regarding
weeds, biodiversity, carnivorous plants and the future of us all.

2. Robert Gibson's excellent cp tour of 3 different countries.

3. Madeleine Groves pyromania is unleashed in the Southeast.

4. Awesome coverage of Nepenthes and Heliamphora by several speakers.

5. Abundant approaches to tissue culture, and a resourceful method of
training future cp-o-philes in Wisconsin.

Was great fun to meet and greet so many folks heretofore just a name on the
net. If you have traveled to some of our cp hotspots after the conference,
I'd be interested to know of your experience and perceptions.

Thanks,

Hawkeye