ICPS World Conference 2000 musings

From: Davidogray@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 17:19:26 PDT

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:19:26 EDT
From: Davidogray@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ICPS World Conference 2000 musings

Hi all,
I'm so glad everyone who has written about the ICPS World Conference in San
Francisco seemed to enjoy it. Believe me there were moments when I wasn't
sure it would happen, and many moments that I didn't particularly enjoy being
an organizer! I'm very happy it all worked out OK.

Cindy Slezak deserves a huge thank you from all of us ( cslezak@earthlink.net
) and so do some volunteers did perform above and beyond the call of duty --
Margaret Boomer, Katherine Henwood, Bill Weaver, and Judith Finn spring first
to my mind. They all missed parts of the conference to help in various ways.

We also must recognize and thank the generous people who donated plants and
other items for the auction, and those who donated directly to the organizing
effort. This really was a saving grace and helped prevent large personal
financial losses to Cindy and me. Thank you each and all.

Thanks to the speakers and vendors without whom there would have been no
conference; you were amazingly great. Everyone learned and gained from your
presentations.

Big raspberries of disgust are directed at anyone who did not show up without
giving us the courtesy of their cancellation; those people cost us literally
thousands of dollars, and ruined the possibility of donating the profits from
the auction to the ICPS.
Future conferences will have to be paid in full in advance.

We will post a final summary of the financial outcome of the event when the
final bills and refunds are in.

The proceedings of the conference will be included in a future editions of
the CPN; if you're not a member of the ICPS you will not get the proceedings,
so join! You can also expect to see some of the excellent winning photos form
the photo contest in future issues.

We have about 44 T-shirts from the conference available; there are only
Medium and Extra-Large sizes available. The shirts are black short sleeve
Haines "Beefy-Ts" with the conference logo depicting the Golden Gate Bridge
with Darlingtonia pitchers as the towers. Its says "International Carnivorous
Plant Society: World Conference 2000, San Francisco". They cost $20 postpaid
in the United States; write me if you'd like one, or for postage costs to
other countries ( tell me your country please ).

I regret that my duties didn't give me as much time as I would have liked to
relax and talk with each of the attendees. It sure was nice to have the
banquet to enjoy the great food and being entertained with everyone by
Barry's antics ( BTW, there is no way to translate this performance into
print ). Barry Meyers-Rice is my hero!

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the ICPS World Conference; I
can't wait until the next one!
Cheers,
David O. Gray