Re: More Strange Utricularia

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 19:56:10 PDT

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:56:10 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More Strange Utricularia

Hi Richard!

>I noticed in Taylor's monograph a Utricularia species called U.
>lloydii with its dimorphic traps, one type resembling those in
>another section. Has anyone ever seen this South American plant
>or had the opportunity to grow it?

            Once again, ask about rare S.America stuff and here I am to
answer! :):) I've found U.lloydii in the wild in S Mato Grosso state, on
plains just S of Cuiaba. In fact that whole section Oligocista to which it
belongs is quite a mess, to me at least. I think I've seen most of the
Brazilian taxa, but the taxonomy is the most complex I've faced so far with
Brazilian CPs. I think maybe this group needs a lot of work and that there's
more out there than it seems (or maybe less taxonomically, once the
variation is better understood).

            Anyways, you can see some pics of this species on my website:

http://www.mcef.ep.usp.br/carnivoras/

            Just click on "Generos e Especies" (left side column), then
choose Utricularia, then scroll down and choose sect.Oligocista or scroll
down further and choose U.lloydii. Unfortunately the only pic of U.lloydii
I've got there is one where I'm holding several other species found in the
same habitat. From left to right are: U.triloba, U.lloydii, U.simulans, and
the amazing yellow-flowered U.amethystina. Or you can go directly to the
address below:

http://www.mcef.ep.usp.br/carnivoras/Photos/Genera/Utricularia/triloba__lloy
dii__simulans__amethystina_Sul_Cuiaba_02_1994.jpg

Best Wishes,

Fernando

P.S. Thanks to everyone who wrote to us about the SF ICPS meeting! It
helps compensate a bit for the sadness of not being able to have been
there.... I especially hope SOMEONE videotaped Barry's already famous talk!!
:):)

P.P.S. Don't wanna get into that already-over Amazon ordeal, but just
keep in mind that the truth always lies in the gray areas......