Re:Sarracenia questions

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 09:34:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:34:34 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Sarracenia questions

On 6/29/00, Susan Farrington wrote:
>Kit,
>You didn't give us enough info to help you more...

That's what I get for writing at 3 in the morning...

>where have you grown these Sarracenia? Where are they now, and where did they
>spend their winter?

They've been in my back yard since the end of April or the beginning
of May when I got them. They spent their first (2? 3?) years at
Cascade Carnivorous, I believe outside year-round in Washington state.

>How do you water them?

I've taken to flooding the pot in the morning, having read somewhere
that this helps to oxygenate the soil. The plants are in 5-gallon
pots roughly 12" tall by 12" wide. The pots sit in 3" deep trays. The
flooding in the morning keeps the trays full.

>Do you use pure water?

Distilled and/or rain.

>It's not unusual for S. leucophylla to be very slow to make nice
>pitchers: they always make their best ones in late summer/fall.
>However, they will usually produce SOME spring pitchers... the kep
>to this seems to be TONS of sunshine early in the season. If it was
>too dark back in March, that will delay it substantially.

Ah. I don't know what kind of weather this plant saw back in March &
April, but I know May & the first half of June were pretty overcast.

>As to the S. flava problems... again, tell us where you have it. Is it
>getting a good consistent water supply? While a tray or saucer can
>dry out, the soil in the pot should NEVER dry out, especially in spring
>and summer. So if it went too dry even once, that could explain things.

Same setup as the leucophylla, described above. I originally had all
my Sarracenia in smaller pots with slightly questionable soil & tap
water, but they definitely never dried out. My S. Alata seems to be
thriving in the same conditions.

>There are other possibilities as well... give us more details!

The flava & alata both had pitchers when I got them. The weekend I
planted them, temp & humidity were in the 90s & they quickly caught
lots of flies. The pitchers that caught the flies got large brown
spots on them where the flies were & now have holes where larvae
chewed their way out. After that freakish weekend, temps dropped back
to below normal & none of the plants currently have fully-developed
pitchers, though I'm guessing it'll only be a week before the alata
has one.

-Kit