Re: Sarracenia Questions

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 12:42:09 PDT

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:42:09 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia Questions

Kit Halsted asked:
>Is it normal for S. leucophylla to still have phyllodia, but no
>pitchers at this time of year? (I'm in Brooklyn, New York, USDA Zone
>7. We had an unusually cool Spring here, but Summer's getting into
>full swing, finally.)

I think you also mentioned that you had recently repotted your plant. I've
been told (and experienced) that S. leucophylla goes into transplant shock
very easily. It took till the end of the 2nd year for my S. leuco to come
out of shock after I rec'd it, and even then the pitchers were abnormally
thin. I was hoping for better this year but then I went and transplanted it
again, but it looks like it'll fare better this time. Also, I've been
experiencing a lot of disfigured pitchers on my flavas this year. I think
it also has something to do with transplant shock, but also sudden changes
in the weather, like a brief cold spell (or even just cooler than normal),
etc. Good luck.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah