Fair Dinkum Weeds Digger, No flies on me matey

From: r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 03:32:30 PDT

Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 20:32:30 +1000
From: r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fair Dinkum Weeds Digger, No flies on me matey

No arguments from here and I am certainly no expert, the majority of our
worst invasive plants are and<bold> will be</bold> exotic, but my point
was (in reference to Darlingtonia not being a potential weed within the
US) that just because a plant is native to a certain continent and that
in its natural habitat it seems benign, does not exclude it from being
an invasive plant at some other place within that particular land mass.
</color> I attempted to say this without attacking anyone in particular.
Darlintonia and Sundew-Sundew triffids, eating cars and Wall St.
bankers).

And Jobson will iterate for 'ix' that many (not all, not the majority,
but many) of our <bold>worst weeds,</bold> especially in the fragmented
bushland of cities and in agricultural areas, <bold>are native</bold>.

Three spring to mind; Schefflera actinophylla, Pittosporum
undulatum and just for fun Eucalyptus torelliana (OK I'll go get the
book and grab a six inch pizza subway!) - and 12 other Eucalyptus
species, a plethora of native Acacia species, a Convolvulus, a
bunch of nutty Hakea, Commelina cyanea (no this is not a bad
weed is it!), I'll jump this HUGE list and end with scrawny old
Utricularia gibba (to keep the list happy;-) and the sweet little
darling Viola hederacea, also plenty of W, Y and Z's as well (sorry
no X's).

If I had all night to go through the CSIRO weed handbook extracting
the listed natives, I could come up with a (not small) figure, at the
extreme least 100 or about 10%. Sorry better things to do.

And sorry for being childish but its more fun.

Best,

Rich.

Who said eggs don't bounce?