Re: U. ochroleuca cultivation

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 10:09:50 PDT

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:09:50 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. ochroleuca cultivation

Hi Filippo,

>Does anybody grow Utricularia ochroleuca?
>It is an interesting aquatic species from the northern hemisphere, closely
>related to U. intermedia. I've two small plants which I'm trying <snip>
>Filippo Tassara
>Genoa, Italy

   I may have grown this plant in the past. I say may, because
I identified most of the Utrics around my area as either minor
or intermedia. Some of those intermedia may have easily been
ochroleuca, since I was informed by Hawkeye Rondeau that it
occurs frequently along the western part of B.C.

   For cultivation, I grew it outdoors in a small 1 gallon jar.
I first put some peat moss (about a handful) in the bottom and
poured boiling water over it to release tannins more rapidly and
to try and partially sterilize the moss and jar (kill off algal
spores). After it cooled and aged about 3 days, I just plunked
the Utric into it. Growth was very good over the summer, with
minimal algal invasions (was kept in bright light, but out of direct
sun). I would occasionally replace some water in the jar.

   In the fall, I let the water level gradually drop as the turions
were being formed, and by winter, just made sure the sediment was
kept wet, otherwise there was no free water in the jar. The plants
survived, so I must have done alright!

   Hope that helps. Glad to see that not all our Italian friends
are still going on about the Euro 2000 final game ;-)!

Happy growing,

Chris

--
Chris Teichreb