Re: dying VFT, ...

From: Daniel Jelkmann (daniel@dj-software.de)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 11:38:33 PDT

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:38:33 +0200
From: "Daniel Jelkmann" <daniel@dj-software.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: dying VFT, ...

Dear Dave,

> Perhaps. Can you tell us how long you have had this plant and
> when did
> it start to loose it's leaves? Is it outside, inside, did you water
> with tap water? If the bulb is still white then the plant has a
> chance, but I can't tell why it has lost it leaves. Generally VFT
> does not loose all it's leave at once when dormancy comes, but slowly
> and even then it will often not loose all it's leaves before dormancy
> ends.

I have got the VFT for approx. 2 years. When I bought the plant, it
had 4-6 green leaves with big traps. All the time the plant stand in
my room together with some other cp's like Sarracenia or Drosera.
I always used rain- or destilled (destillated?) water. The other
plants grew very well, but the VFT only produced a few new leaves
and the traps got smaller. In the last three months, there only
were very small traps and just 2 leaves. So the VFT has not lost all
leaves at once but in time. And also in winter, the plant had green
leaves, so dormancy did not come..
Does VFT perhaps need more sunlight than Sarracenia or what? I
do not want to kill my other VFTs, so please help me.

> I'm not sure. Did you just move the plant from high humidity to
> low
> humidity? Did you move the plant from the shade to full sun? If you
> explain what care you have given these plants we will be able to help
> you better. If you can, check out this web site:
> http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html This is the CP faqs page. It has a
> lot of good information on the culture of CP's.
> Dave Evans

Thanks, I will visit the homepage and read the faq.
The Sarracenia is placed behind a glass of a window and I did not
move the plant, so there was not any humitidy change . Because
of the glass I thought that the sun perhaps burns the pitchers and
the air gets too dry...

Bye
  Daniel Jelkmann

Homepage: http://www.djelkmann.de/