Re: aldrovanda / Utric introductions

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 08:40:07 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:40:07 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: aldrovanda / Utric introductions

Hi John,

   You forgot about seed! This could easily be transported around
the world, and even with drying out, will still germinate. This
is likely the way most plants disperse themselves over long
distances, aquatics included.

   As well, the distance transported isn't all that great. Given
the relatively slow dispersion of some species, this indicates
that a large proportion of the plants probably don't survive the
trip.

   Finally, with turions, they are somewhat resistant to drying out,
at least more than the plants. So, temperate varieties may make
it around this way as well.

   Hope that solves your dilemma ;-)!

Happy growing,

Chris