Bird dispersion

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 14:59:29 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:59:29 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bird dispersion

cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

> Finally, with turions, they are somewhat resistant to drying out,
> at least more than the plants. So, temperate varieties may make
> it around this way as well.
>
> Hope that solves your dilemma ;-)!
>
> Happy growing,
>
> Chris
>

>John - would those be African swallows or European swallows! ;-)

Sorry guys I still remain to be convinced.
If bird dispersal was a serious contender then why is it that European weeds
only made it to Southern Africa (and vice versa) when there was trade/
travel etc.

I thought that Aldrovanda seed was fairly rare and shortlived anyway and as
for a bird carrying turions; Why would it? Even if the turions were hitching
a ride in the birds feathers, would this stop them drying out (I dont think
so).

Has there been any serious research on this or is it (as I suspect) all
guesswork.

I aim to conduct my own research just as soon as I can get these African
swallows to carry this coconut.................... :))

John Wilden
Southport
Lancs.
UK