Re: Animal & Bird problems

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 16:19:03 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:19:03 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Animal & Bird problems

>I'm having problems, mainly with birds, but occasionally with squirrels
that
>dig up my potted CPs. They are generally digging in the media, probably
>looking for a meal, but usually, on a daily basis, I have VFTs scattered
all
>over the place, and large sections of my smaller drosera totally gone!
>
>Is there something that will deter these little pests from doing this?

Rick,
You're not alone. Birds dig in my pots for the sphagnum moss for nesting
material. A wren actually nested *in* my S.minor's pot this year (and killed
the Drosera in the same pot with her digging!). In the fall, squirrels like
to dig in the soft peat to bury nuts. All of these critters can be slowed or
stopped with a wire mesh enclosing the plant which is effective and ugly.
Someone on the list earlier this year suggested using dried blackberry
brambles laid in the pots. The thorns on these plants would hopefully deter
digging. I tried it earlier this spring and whatever had been digging up my
VFT on a daily basis stopped, but it could have just been the end of nesting
season. Certainly more attractive than wire mesh.

Good luck
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.adbusters.org/