Re: Sarracenia rotting

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 05:09:01 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:09:01 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia rotting

Chris and Diane,
Thanks for your comments! Chris, I think you're on target: yesterday I
plucked a stinking pitcher off a Sarracenia I had just put in there on
Friday (it had been outdoors), and it had a huge cockroach in the
base of it. Man, did it stink!!! So the smell probably IS due to the fact
that the critters they are catching are big and the heat and high
humidity and lack of air circulation is making the digestion anaerobic.
Guess I'll just have to rotate plants more often to outside... it's just a
pain in the neck!
Thanks,
Susan

Susan Farrington