Freezing U. gibba etc

From: Bruce Salmon (brucesal@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 15:01:50 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:01:50 +1200
From: "Bruce Salmon" <brucesal@xtra.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Freezing U. gibba etc

Last winter ie this time last year in NZ, I decided to freeze some U.
australis? turions of a local form that never flowers. I thought maybe extra
cold would induce flowering. In the same 1L container were also some strands
of U. gibba.

I put them in the freezer at night for about 3hrs until the water surface
had iced over. I guess the freezer was about -5 to -8C. I would then remove
the container and put it back outside repeating the process every night.

The U. gibba strands + some of the floating turions became incased in ice to
no ill effect.

However one night I forgot to remove them from the freezer so that in the
morning it was a solid block of ice. After thawing the turions survived but
the U. gibba was history!

Bruce

Bruce Salmon
13 Rothery Road
Manurewa
Auckland 1702
New Zealand

"If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much room!"