Re: Epiphyte Utric's

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 09:45:03 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:45:03 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Epiphyte Utric's

Chris,

>Hi everyone,
>Does anyone have any tricks on how to get Utric reniformis to flower? Also
>does anyone have any spare epiphyte Utric's.

No tips, only a few hints!

All the large leaf plants of U. reniformis that I have seen in flower
have been growing in large containers - by large I mean in excess of
30cm diameter. This may be the biggest factor in getting these plants
to flower. I have been told as well that allowing the plants to get a
cold dry winter dormancy is also necessary. Well established plants
will quite happily handle the odd drop below zero BTW. The top growth
dies back but re-grows when the warm spring weather returns.

I am not talking from personal experience though. I have only seen my
large leaf clone flower once and so far I have not been able to repeat
what ever it was that led to this success! Space restricts the size of
container I can grow my plant in, which is almost certainly a factor.

My small leaf clone however, has flowered each spring without fail for
the past two years. This grows in a 125cm square pot. If space is a
consideration for flowering it is reasonable to assume that the small
leaf clone is less demanding.

Hope this helps.
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk