Re: subulata mucilage

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 19:19:21 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:19:21 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: subulata mucilage

Hi Rich,

>Wondering if anyone growing Utricularia has notice that U. subulata
>can produce a sticky mucilage at each bract on the inflorescence.
>These blobs may be a protective mechanism from crawling
>critters? These plants never cease to amaze. Anyone notice it?

            Yep. In cultivation and the wild. Its close relative U.pusilla
has much more however. And I think U.nigrescens, U. flaccida, U.triloba,
U.trichophylla have it too occasionally...

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil,

P.S. Sorry to all I owe mails to. I've been travelling a lot due to work.
I'll hopefully answer you all this week.

P.P.S. Tell you all soon about some CPs I saw this weekend in the coldest
highlands of Brazil....