Orthene in the UK?

From: A.J. Paton (ajpaton@totalise.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 14:18:47 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:18:47 +0100
From: "A.J. Paton" <ajpaton@totalise.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Orthene in the UK?

Hi,

My S. purpurea has been looking unwell for a while (showing no real new
growth this season), so I decided to have a look at it and repot it.

Around some roots were areas that looked like root mealy bug (whitish
powdery looking patches).

The savage garden recommends "Orthene" as the best systemic insecticide, but
I couldn't find this in my local garden centre. Is "Orthene" a US product?,
and if so, what is its equivalent in the UK? (and what is the best source
for it?).

Alternatively, I could soak the soil with "Malathion", as I sometimes do
with my cacti - is this likely to have any adverse affect on a CP?

Cheers,

A.J.