wood mediums

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 23:50:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 02:50:02 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: wood mediums

  Hi All,

  What makes a wood substrate for Nepenthes medium usable? I have heard
people using anything from orchid bark to pine chips with apparent success.
  Are there woods/bark chemically unsuitable? Do people use orchid bark over
much cheaper garden center stuff because it's sterile? If so, how does one
sterilize bark?
   Some people don't use any bark in their mediums.
   What pros and cons have people noticed to any of these questions? Any
input would be very interesting to me, and hopefully others.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska
  USA