Re: the truth, and only the truth, so help me...

From: bruce dudley (bddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 05:54:56 PDT

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 05:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce dudley <bddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: the truth, and only the truth, so help me...

Hi everyone

I am a business teacher at a high school in North
Carolina. I enjoy reading what everyone (well, almost
everyone!) says and I have learned so much. The best
example I can give is all the recent conversation
about U. inflata. I absolutely had no idea that it
was so widespread through our country!! I guess I
thought it was a South-eastern species. Thanks to
everyone for helping me understand this interesting
point. BTW: does anyone know how the plant is
fairing in Eastern North Carolina?? The plant is
under tremendous pressure from road crews who 'clean'
out the roadside ditches. I worry that these stands
of plants are being negatively impacted by such
methods. Recently, a large section of road in my area
is slated for expansion. Guess what native plant
fills the ditches that are being filled to widen this
road???

On to the other topic more relevant to my education.
I teach about use/misuse of the internet to my
students. We create and visit websites. I emphasize
to my students to please remember that there are
certain laws that govern what is said here. I know,
'freedom of speech' crap and all.... But, this is a
government-created instrument of communication and,
thus, carefully monitored by our government, and more
recently, foreign governments who need to protect
private citizens. This is a dangerous media!!!! Be
certain that what you say is

1. your words 2. not in violation of someone else's 'innocence' 3.
worthy of reading.... with citations available for someone who wishes
to understand where your information came from. There's tons of crap
being pushed as "truth" and it is almost impossible for me to reteach
students who claim: "I read it on the internet...It must be true!"

Some of this should be commone sense. It's easy to
get carried away.

Thanks for the forum
Bruce Dudley
North Carolina