Nepenthes pollination

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:19:26 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:19:26 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes  pollination

Hello,
I just thought I would add my experiences with Nepenthes seed production,
for what it is worth. I have found all non-pollinated seed capsules in my
greenhouse here in Sanford, Florida, USA, produce non-viable small seed. The
species I have had female inflorescence with are N. maxima, N. bicalcarata,
N. ventricosa (received as N. burkei, many years ago), N. alata, N.
gracilis, N. tobaica, N. rafflesiana, and what is called N. sibolga, _none_
have produced any viable seed.
 I have attempted crossing N. faizaliana * N. maxima (Longwood Gardens), N.
faizaliana * N. dyeriana, N. veitchii * N. tobaica and N. maxima * N. maxima
(Longwood Gardens) with negative results. I have had very limited success
(few viable seed) with N.maxima * N. tobaica, N. faizaliana * N. khasiana ,
and N. faizaliana * N. veitchii (lowland).
Excellent results with crosses have been N. ventricosa * N. khasiana, N.
maxima * N. truncata, N. gracilis * N. mirabilis (winged tendril) N.
ventricosa * N. madagascariensis. I am seeing positive capsule swelling in
the cross N. rafflesiana (Atlanta Botanical Gardens) * N bicalcarata. I get
reliable results yearly with N. ventricosa * N.ventricosa.
Have the people who have unintentional viable seed production, grown the
seed to make sure they are not hybrid?
Take care,
Steven Stewart,
Sanford Fl. USA