Re: Chromosome Counts

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 01:50:39 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:50:39 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Chromosome Counts

Dear Sean,

> Can anyone help me with this puzzle? D.falconeri has 19
> chromosome.D.lanta has 12 chromosome.

It is the other way round (_D. lanata_ from the type population does
have the odd count).

> The hybrid is not sterile.

I guess you are not using the aneuploid material originally examined
by Prof. Kondo. There are obviously a couple of ploidy levels within
_D. lanata_, including populations with the regular count of 12
chromosomes (check out Hoshi & Kondo, Cytologia 63: 203, 1998).

> How can that be!

v.s.

> I've yet to run into a petiolaris that is.

Perhaps not even the aneuploids are sterile. There are a couple of
examples in which hybrids of parents with different chromosome counts
remain fertile. Remember that sterile hybrids in _Drosera_ are the
exception rather than the rule! Only because the most widespread and
therefore well-known hybrid (_D. rotundifolia_ * _D. anglica_) is
usually sterile, the superstition that all _Drosera_ hybrids or
aneuploids must be sterile is so terribly common and endlessly
perpetuated in sloppy literature.

> Does anyone know the chromosome counts on the other forms in the complex?

Check out the cp database.

Kind regards
Jan