Re: CITES and Nepenthes seed

From: Brett Lymn (blymn@baesystems.com.au)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 02:39:59 PDT

Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:09:59 +0930 (CST)
From: blymn@baesystems.com.au (Brett Lymn)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CITES and Nepenthes seed

According to Dave Evans:

> The whole point of CITES is to protect species. Why would you need to
>get a permit if a particular species is not native (and can't even be
>naturalized either) to your country, for exporting? The only other option
>would be there is some other reason for this law... But what? Seems like a
>complete waste of time and money--for everyone involved.

I would guess at trying to prevent re-export of plants previously
gathered illegally. If the assumption were made that since the plants
cannot grow in the country of origin that they are cultivated plants
then it opens the possibility of someone sending plants gathered in
the wild into the country and then being able to legitimately export
them.