Re: D. filiformis tracyi in winter (was D. intermedia flowers)

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 18:57:55 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:57:55 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. filiformis tracyi in winter (was D. intermedia flowers)

Dear John,

> >No, D. filiformis tracyi cannot survive our winters. I don't
> >think it can handle much more than heavy frost.
>
> Would it help if it were mulched over and planted in the bog? What about
D.
> filiformis filiformis, will it survive colder temps?

    D. filiformis tracyi can't handle the same cold that D. filiformis
filiformis can. The latter variation is very hardy (which means it can
handle very cold winters). D. filiformis tracyi is not hardy, though it is
very robust, and I doubt mulching would help. I plan on storing mine in the
fridge this winter. I think you could grow D. filiformis filiformis as far
north as you want without much concern, in an inground bog.

Dave Evans