RE: Update on Nepenthes, all female seed

From: Hermann Wistuba (hermann@wistuba.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 12:38:07 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:38:07 +0200
From: "Hermann Wistuba" <hermann@wistuba.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Update on Nepenthes, all female seed

In what species you have really _SEEN_ this
sex conversion?

Hermann

The Dutch have been experimenting this method I'm
about to explain on the Mustard family of plants and
the cannabis family of plants and originally got the
article from a friend in the Netherlands. A female
plant can revert to a male , but male plant can't
revert to a female. I've seen in many species, that
when you need a male and a female plant to make seed
and that female is stressed hard enough, she will
produce male flowers, so this is where my theory comes
into play. If you take a cotton swab and soak it in a
solution of Gibberellic acid 1000 ppm one gram to one
liter of water and when the Nepenthes is in flower,
apply the cotton swab to a node on the flower and in
my opinion, 7-14 days a male flower will appear. Do
not remove cotton swab until a flower appear. In
turn, an all-female seed. By theory, it should work.
Sean