RE: Orthene in UK

From: Thompson, Paul (ThompsonP@logica.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 06:15:55 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:15:55 +0100
From: "Thompson, Paul" <ThompsonP@logica.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Orthene in UK

Dan, Thanks for your reply.

Using the generic name of Acephate, I called RHS Wisley for some help in
locating suitable sources.

Unfortunately the regulations in the UK prevent this chemical being sold to
anyone other than professional growers.

The pest I am trying to get rid of is, I believe, a fugus gnat that has
settled on some seedlings and the larvae are now crawling through the soil.

They probably won't cause too much damage as they live off dead material,
and there doesn't seem to be much of that. The bigger problem is that the
plants are indoors and the gnats are becoming a nuisance.

The sundews I placed nearby are covered in them.

Wisley recommended using a soil drench called Bio Provado.

Does anyone have any experience with this. The active ingredient is
imidacloprid.

Thanks
Paul