Re: Sarracenia Identification

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 07:51:40 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:51:40 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia Identification

<< Please help me to identify them. Here are the photos:
  http://www.djelkmann.de/pic/sarracenia_leucophylla.jpg
 This photo shows a pitcher of the plant. I saw a photo of
 "Sarracenia leucophylla" and I think this may be my plant. Please
 tell me if i'm right, and if not, the name of the plant.
  And here are two other ones:
 http://www.djelkmann.de/pic/sarracenia.jpg
 http://www.djelkmann.de/pic/sarracenia2.jpg
  If someone knows the names of the plants, please tell me them.
  Regards Daniel Jelkmann >>

The first plant is probably a leucophylla hybrid. It probably isn't true
leucophylla. (I say probably because photos can be deceptive.) First, there
seems to be too little white in the pitchers, and the white areas are shaped
like what you'd find in S. leucophylla x S. minor. Second, the lip and rim
area doesn't match leucophylla at all, as it forms more of a semi-circle.
Third, there is a splash of maroon immediately around the opening of the
pitcher. The semi circle opening with maroon could come from a cross with
oreophila.

The 2nd plant is really interesting. The pitcher with its opening away from
us could be a dead ringer for S. purpurea ssp purpurea. Yet, the pitcher
facing us shows psittacina influence (pitcher width extending to the petiole
& slight doming of the hood). The wing is also straight, whereas in
psittacina and purpurea it is not, which leads me to believe that this plant
is a complex hybrid. Since the pitcher opening appears very narrow, I will
lead towards rubra. I will make an educated guess and say it's (S. rubra x S.
psittacina) x S. purpurea ssp purpurea. If anyone does know the true
indentity, I'd like to see how close on this one I was. I really do like this
plant.

The third plant appears to be S. leucophylla x S. minor.
Michael Catalani