Re: sarracenia identification

From: bruce dudley (bddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 09:08:50 PDT

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 09:08:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce dudley <bddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: sarracenia identification

Daniel
The only 'sure' identification that I'd make is that
you have 3 nice plants! However, noticing some
interesting likenesses to paternal species that I have
grown for years I would suspect something of the
following: Close examination of any of these plants'
flowers could tell you tons! Watch for flowers next
year and it may resolve as much as the pitchers.

1. Leuco x a rubra complex (maybe, alabemensis or
wherryi) and then, even alata! A pitcher in the
background helped me determine some characteristics
that the closer pitcher didn't show. This is a
distant and complex cross, too. I almost considered
oreo but changed my mind when I examined the neck on
the hood. Not prominent enough on the pictures we
see.

2. Very interesting! I like this plant a lot. Very
much purp... I suspect minor somewhere along the way.
Definitely not psitt... has to be an upright and minor
would influence the hood like you see. I suspect that
it is a purp x minor x self for several generations...
*If you ever consider giving up a plant, please
consider me!*
:-)

3. definitely leuco x purp. I have seen tons of those and it is obvious
from the dried tops that this plant has suffered some drying out, too.
Keep the humidity up to keep the pitchers from showing this stress.

Unfortunately, you may never know. When people let
the flowers pollinate freely, or don't keep accurate
records then you are resolved to do some guess-work.
Isn't it fun, though?? I love Sarracenia for that
very reason!
Good Growing
Bruce