Byblis not a CP? New Idea

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 08:58:59 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:58:59 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Byblis not a CP? New Idea

Hi all,

Ever since Hartmeyer published results on digestive enzyme testing in
different carnivorous plants and showed that Byblis liniflora apparently
does not produce any, controversy has gone on about carnivory in this
species. I have been doing some studies into this and have a new idea to
explore which may radically change peoples view on CP.

CARNIVORY TESTING --GROWTH SPURT
First let me elaborate on my testing method and tell more about Byblis. I
grow Byblis the same way as with my sundews. I start a large number of
sundew seed in very nutrient poor soil media. I have found that seedlings
will not grow unless supplied with some sort of nutrition. I wait until
the seedlings show a few carnivorous leaves and then begin feeding live
fruitflies (Drosophila melanogaster) which I culture. I can select one
seedling in a thousand for feeding, and only that one will grow, the rest
will merely linger. Byblis exhibits the same response, So how can we
explain this if Byblis does not produce a digestive enzyme? Researchers
have noted that in nature the plants have a mutualist relation with Mirid
Bugs which feed on the insects trapped by the plant, and then the bugs
deficate on the plant and in so doing fertilize the plant. I have no such
bugs in my home setup, so the bugs can be ruled out of testing.

DIGESTIVE FLUID?
Byblis does in fact capture and kill insects. Microscopic examination of
the leaves of Byblis reveal sessile glands in addition to the retentive
stalked glands. I have witnessed these sessile glands secreting a fluid
upon captured prey. Experts explain that this device of trapping and
killing is only a defensive tactic to discourage plant eating insects.
The secreted fluid does not contain digestive enzymes to break down the
insects flesh, and so, nutrients may not be made available for absorption
by the plant. How then may we explain the apparent growth spurt after
feeding?

REVOLUTIONARY IDEA
Recently, I have thought of an amazing explanation to cover all points.
Byblis need not be truly carnivorous at all, and still account for the
trapping and killing followed by a growth spurt . Conveniently, there is
already a term which can be used to describe the phenomenon, -lifeforce
vampirism. Read the book Space Vampires by Colin Wilson for more on the
subject or see the movie based upon the book, Life Force. Also, with this
realization, I now suspect that butterworts and sundews may lure their
prey by hypnotic telepathy. I recall Fernando Rivadavia once hinted to me
that he was able to tune into some sort of telepathic frequency and
trackdown sundews. Since he is red-color blind, this telepathic ability
is especially helpful [ is this what you were trying to tell me Fernando?
]. Has anyone else had similar experiance along this line? I feel this is
such an important new field of study that I have decided to make a career
change in this direction. Imagine this, --verifiable proof of what up
till now has been considered supernatural!

Professor Ivan Snyder
Institute of Psychic CP Research
Hermosa Beach, California