Re:sarracenia hybrid guessing game

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 19:12:37 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:12:37 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:sarracenia hybrid guessing game

On 8/23/00, Aaron Carlson wrote:
>I noticed a good response recently to someone asking for help
>identifying Sarracenia hybrids, so I thought I'd seek some input on
>some of my own.

As long as you're asking, I'll throw in my not-particularly-educated guesses.

>Here are the URL's for pics:
>www.sarracenia.homestead.com/pinklid.html

I'm inclined to agree that there's purpurea in it. It also bears a
very strong resemblance to the newly-forming pitcher on my S. alata,
so I'll throw that out as my guess at the other parent.

>www.sarracenia.homestead.com/minoresque.html

It is minoresque; I'd posit that it's got some leucophylla in its
heritage as well.

>www.sarracenia.homestead.com/bigguy.html

Beats me. It's purpurea x something, maybe orephila? There's a
picture of purp. x oreo. on page 92 of The Savage Garden that bears
some resemblance to it. There's also a picture on page 94 of (leuco.
x minor) x (purp. x rubra) that looks similar.

>www.sarracenia.homestead.com/redhead.html

Rubra? Leuco. x alata?

>www.sarracenia.homestead.com/veinous.html

Purpurea x (something upright). I'd put money on that. ;)

>If anyone has any clues, I would be grateful for their opinions.

Please remember that these are opinions only, mere guesses drawn from
my nearly 4 long months of experience growing Sarracenia.

-Kit

--
Kit Halsted
Brooklyn, NY, USA, USDA Zone 7