Re: Ivan's theory

From: Kevin Cook (K.Cook@bom.gov.au)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 22:26:27 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:56:27 +0930
From: Kevin Cook <K.Cook@bom.gov.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ivan's theory

This is just my second message and I don't want to give the impression that
I'm a nut, BUT I would like to make a few comments about Ivan's email, the

Firstly, the true carnivorous nature of CPs was denied until Darwin because
it did not conform to the belief held by the scientists of those earlier
times. The really significant advances in science occur during
paradigmatic shifts (refer Thomas Kuhn).

Secondly, off hand criticism can be an example of bad science, just as much
as unfounded beliefs.

I would suggest to Ivan (assuming he was serious) that he devises
experiments to test his beliefs. For example, feed one group of Byblis
with live insects and another group with freshly killed insects. If there
is a "life force" you would expect the first group to do better.

There is nothing wrong with positing beliefs and whacky theories, as long
as they can be tested using sound scientific methodology.

Regards,

Kevin Cook
Darwin,
Australia